Newry.ie

LATEST VIDEO

Exit

To mark Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month 2014, Newry and Mourne District Council has teamed up with the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) to launch a new carbon monoxide (CO) information booklet. 

Around 10,000 of the new booklets are being sent out via Newry and Mourne District Council’s Environment, Health and Building Services department to households across the District. A new poster has also been produced for display by suppliers of solid fuel or gas appliances, warning customers of the potential dangers from CO.

The new booklet helps you to recognise the symptoms of CO poisoning, what to do if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, how to identify potential sources of CO in your home and offers advice on the proper installation, maintenance and use of fuel-burning appliances. 

Welcoming the new booklet and poster as part of the NI CO Safety Group’s ongoing drive to raise CO awareness, John Farrell, Director of Environment, Health and Building Services from Newry and Mourne District Council said: “I’d urge everyone to pay attention to the advice being offered to help reduce the dangers from CO in your home.

“I’d also remind householders that before installing a new solid fuel appliance, or relining or installing flues and chimneys for these appliances, it is a legal requirement to submit an application for building regulation approval. 

“Please contact the Council’s Building Control section before you start this work.”

Richard Meredith, who heads HSENI’s Major Hazards and Gas Group added: “I am very grateful for the support of the Environment, Health and Building Services department in Newry and Mourne District Council to help raise awareness of the dangers from carbon monoxide. 

“Anyone who uses an appliance that burns a fossil fuel, such as gas, oil, coal, peat or wood is at potential risk from CO poisoning. So, please take on board the information and advice in the new booklet. 

“Remember, the best protection from this deadly gas is to make sure all fuel burning appliances are properly installed and serviced at least once a year by a registered engineer. 

“In addition, ensure that chimneys and flues are inspected annually and swept, if required, by a registered technician.” 

“As a backup precaution, you should also install an audible carbon monoxide alarm.” 

For more information contact the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland on: 0800 0320 121 or visit the ‘Watch Out. Carbon Monoxide Kills’ website: www.hseni.gov.uk/watchout or contact Newry and Mourne Environment, Health and Building Services Department on 028 30313100 or ehealth@newryandmourne.gov.uk

 

Pin It

DONATE

Please consider supporting Newry.ie

Amount

FOLLOW NEWRY.IE

 

 

Newry.ie require Cookies on some parts of our site to enable full functionality. By using Newry.ie you consent to our use of Cookies. You can use your browser settings to disable cookies on this or any other website.