Junior 3 League Cup Semi-Final

Newry 2’s 2-0 Queens 2’s

Newry booked their place in the Junior 3 cup final with a superb win over Queens University on Saturday- With a full squad of 16 Newry turned over the league leaders in possibly  their best performance of the season.

Newry started well and took the lead after 10 minutes with a fine volleyed strike by Adam Foster after a great through ball from David Hogg- This spurred queens on and Newry had to soak up quite a bit of pressure with returning keeper Ashley Collum making a string of top saves to protect Newry’s lead.

Newry managed to extend their lead when  frontman Simon McCafferty slotted home from a clever penalty corner variation continuing his reach vein of goal scoring form. Queens attempted to get themselves back into the game but the Newry defence of Liggett, Gregg, Graham and Baird stood firm and when they were breached keeper Collum was on hand to make crucial saves. Queens but have the ball in the Newry net however it was correctly ruled out for an earlier infringement. Newry did have their chances to extend their lead through captain Andy Marks and Josh Porter however the game finished 2-0 to Newry and they will now play either North Down or Ballymena in the cup final.

Team: Collum, A. Baird, D. Hogg, D. Liggett, E. Graham, A. Marks, A. McMinn, S. Graham, S. McCafferty, M. McCullough, A. Foster, M.McCullough, J. Porter, G. Alderdice, J. Niblock

Newry 1’s 4-1 Cliftonvile 1’s

Newry hosted Cliftonvile at home on Saturday in one of the only games to go ahead in the Ulster League due to the cold weather.  Newry were hoping to christen their new kits sponsored by Modern Tyres with a win.

The home side had a lot of the ball in the opening stages but were unable to create any clear cut chances or force the keeper into any saves of note.  It was the visitors who looked more dangerous on the counter attack and were unlucky not to take the lead when they hit the post but they soon were in the lead with a great deflected finish from a low hard cross.  Newry only started to play after going a goal behind and forced a number of short corners again without any success.  However just before the break David England did make one of the corners count as he fired a drag flick into theleft hand side of the goal to level the scores.

Newry were slow to start in the second period but grew into the half and started to cause problems for the Cliftonvile defence.  Again they forced short corner after short corner but could not convert.  It wasn’t until the last ten minutes that they found the break through with Matty Russell firing home from a well worked short corner. This seemed to free Newry up and they were more fluid in attack.  It was three only a matter of minutes later when Keith McWilliams returning from injury was on hand at the back post to slot home.  He got his second 1 minute later when it looked like he had ran the ball to wide but he managed to fire home from a tight angle to make it 4-1 and give Newry all 3 points.

Thank you to our new team sponsor’s Modern Tyres.

Team: Beck, D. England, N. McKnight, A. Baird, J. Greer, M. Russell, R. Irwin, C. Henning, K. McWilliams, K. McCombe, C. McKnight, D. Andrews, A. Irwin, M. McCullough

Pin It


Please consider supporting