Newry 1’s 3-1 South Antrim 1’s

Newry hosted South Antrim in their final game of the Kirk Cup league stage before their opening match of the league campaign.  The teams were evenly matched in the open stages with neither side managing to get the break through or create any clear cut opportunities.  However a mistake in the Newry defence midway through the half did give South Antrim the chance to take the lead which they took full advantage of to go one up.  However the lead was short lived as Newry got back on level terms when David Hogg and Colin Henning linked up well on the left hand side before firing the ball into the circle were Alex Irwin picked the ball up and finished smartly with a reverse stick shot high into the goal.

In the second half Newry started to put the South Antrim defence under some more sustained pressure and were able to force a number of short corners.  David England had been moved over the top of the corners and he made the most of the opportunity as he scored with a drag flick with 10mins gone in the second half.  It was soon two as again David England scored from a short corner when he reacted first after his first attempt had been charged down to fire a rocket into the South goal.  The visitors started to push forward in high numbers in search of a goal to get back into the game but found Newry’s defence tough to break down and could not find that elusive goal. Newry held on to win 3-1.  The Belfast Road men open their league campaign against Queens next Saturday at home at 2.30pm.

Team: Beck, J. Greer, D. England, D. Hogg, N. McKnight, C. Henning, R. Irwin, D. Andrews, K. McCombe, C. McKnight, K. McWilliams, A. Irwin, M. McCullough. A. Baird

Newry 2’s 2-0 Cookstown 4’s

Newry 2’s booked their place in the semi-final of the league cup after a hard fought victory over Cookstown on Saturday.  The match couldn’t have started any better as Alex Irwin scored with only five minutes gone when he was found in free in the circle before rounding the keeper and sliding the ball home.  It was very quickly two when Darren Liggett pushed forward from left midfield and was found by Josh Porter, Liggett somehow managed to slip the ball under the advancing keeper as he dove full stretch to get to the ball first.  Cookstown had chances of their own in the game but found Eddie Graham and Gareth Moffett in great form in defence as they smothered most attacks before they could become dangerous.  Both sides were advancing in the second half trying to find another goal but neither could get the break through as the game ended 2-0 to Newry.

Team: A.Collum, G. Alderdice, D. Hogg, E. Graham, G. Moffett, M. McCaigue, D. Liggett, A. Marks, A. Irwin, S. McCafferty, J. Porter, M. McCullough, A. McMinn

Pin It